- Research Areas
After many months of updates and new research, we're announcing a completely updated version of Spearmint, our tool for Bayesian optimization. It is available for use under a non-commercial license. This is a long-term collaboration between Jasper Snoek, Kevin Swersky, Hugo Larochelle, Michael Gelbart, and Ryan Adams. This includes implementations of the following papers:
- J Snoek, H Larochelle, and RP Adams. Practical Bayesian Optimization of Machine Learning Algorithms, NIPS, 2012.
- K Swersky, J Snoek, and RP Adams. Multi-Task Bayesian Optimization, NIPS, 2013.
- J Snoek, K Swersky, and RP Adams. Input Warping for Bayesian Optimization of Non-Stationary Function, ICML, 2014.
- M Gelbart, J Snoek, and RP Adams. Bayesian Optimization with Unknown Constraints, UAI, 2014.
- K Swersky, J Snoek and RP Adams. Freeze-Thaw Bayesian Optimization. Arxiv Preprint, 2014.
Submitted by rpa on Thu, 08/21/2014 - 12:26
Oren Rippel has recently released the first version of his new Python library MICMAT. This library has a similar functionality to cudamat, but is focused on Intel's newXeon Phi (MIC) architecture, rather than nVidia's CUDA. MICMAT allows you to perform useful memory management and dense linear algebra computations on the MIC coprocessor, from a Python interface.
Submitted by rpa on Wed, 06/11/2014 - 11:13
Dougal Maclaurin's paper Firefly Monte Carlo: Exact MCMC with Subset of Data has won the Microsoft Best Paper Award at this year's Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). Congrats Dougal!
Submitted by rpa on Sat, 05/31/2014 - 13:54
The HIPS group co-authored five papers to appear at this year's International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML).
- Jasper Snoek, Kevin Swersky, Richard Zemel, and Ryan Adams. Input Warping for Bayesian Optimization of Non-Stationary Functions.
- Oren Rippel, Michael Gelbart, and Ryan Adams. Learning Ordered Representations with Nested Dropout.
- Scott Linderman and Ryan Adams. Discovering Latent Network Structure in Point Process Data.
- Raja Affandi, Emily Fox, Ryan Adams and Ben Taskar. Learning the Parameters of Determinantal Point Process Kernels.
- Andrew Miller, Luke Bornn, Ryan Adams, and Kirk Goldsberry. Factorized Point Process Intensities: A Spatial Analysis of Professional Basketball.
Submitted by rpa on Sat, 05/31/2014 - 12:48